27 February 2009

The Great Hunt

With the introduction of this second subspecies of imp to the house, the levels of chaos, mischief, and destruction have intensified fivefold. Despite my concerns regarding territoriality or xenophobia, the imps instead appear delighted to create mayhem in new and ever more cooperative ways.

Today I returned home from a brief walk to find the silverware drawer emptied on the floor and the pencil cup tipped over on the desk. To my astonishment, I found the six imps ranged in a semicircle behind a ridge in the bedding, armed with implements as varied as forks, bamboo skewers, a pen, and a spoon. The object of their aggression was a plush buffalo--or more properly, what the Americans refer to as a bison--which stood minding its own business, oblivious to the little stinkers. As I watched from the bedroom door, the imps made a bold and coordinated assault on the bison. The poor beast had no chance, unconditioned as it was to predation of any sort, not to mention this level of sophistication. It is possible that no plushie will be safe in my house while these imps are present.

No comments: