20 February 2009

More Imps!

So I was across town a couple days ago on unrelated business when I spotted what appeared to be another band of imps! These were more camouflaged than the first population, as their coats had green and brown patches breaking up the blue base color. In the trees they were virtually invisible, so I only spotted them when they flitted across the snow. I wondered at this very different colouration, and I have come to the conclusion that because the town was developed on an isthmus, vital migratory patterns have been disrupted. Where the imps have managed to establish territories, those smaller, isolated populations are drifting away from each other. This, I think, also explains the eyes.

Determined to find out more, I hurried home to gather up a cage and some traps and bait. I returned and set my traps amongst the evergreens where I had first spotted the imps. Then with a simple observation spell in place, I "hid" myself in the nearest coffee shoppe (thank God they serve tea, too).

Well, I was just about to stop in the loo when the blasted spell alerted me to a tripped trap! As I waited by the door for a muggle man with his small boy to finish their business (rather loudly, I thought), the spell alerted me to a second trapped imp. "Be done, already!" I thought to myself. As the father was patiently reminding his child why we wash hands, the spell went off a third time. In desperation, I ducked into the lady's room (a thousand apologies, ladies! I suppose I'll never show my face in there again), then hurried off to check my traps. Luck was with me, as all three imps were still in their traps. I transferred them into the cage and headed for home, quite excited to observe their interactions with the first trio.

No comments: